Tuesday, November 04, 2008

back to my journey...



First and foremost, thank you for you e-mails of concern for my disappearance. I am so sorry for those orders I couldn't fulfill. I am going to start blogging on a regular basis like before, but now my focus will be where my blog started; at square one.

When I first started this blog, it was meant to celebrate my ability and skills to prepare foods for those I love. Along the way, I started baking for orders. From that point on, my kitchen was filled with orders from strangers I don't even know. But, I was even happier, to be able to make strangers gleam with happiness from once they sampled my goods. This went on for months. Until one day, my dad requested ' Could you please make me an apple pie. How much is it?'. I just froze.

What happened to me? This was the man who bought me my first digital kitchen scale, my oven, my books and whatever I needed to 'experiment' with when baking was my hobby. How could he ask me that? Then it hit me.

I became 'lost' in my journey.

The next day, I made my crust, then cored apples. It felt good. It felt like how I had felt when I first made my short crust pastry. I was careful, but I knew what I was doing. Unlike before, I moved faster, to ensure I got the 'crumbly-flaky' combination, cuttting butter with precision. Rested the dough. Lined my tin. Filled the tin, then covered the filling with a layer of my crust , then I decorated with pastry leaves.

I presented the pie to my dad the next day. He was so happy. He even told me to take pictures of the 'cutting' ceremony. I was happy.

I stopped taking orders since then.

No comments: