Sunday, January 27, 2008

For diabetics with love...



Kitchen angel's daddy requested for a cake for his diabetic friend. Well, I freaked out, as his request was made at 11 pm! Lucky me with the perfectly stocked pantry ( not flour, not eggs, not butter, not sugar but GRANULATED FRUCTOSE) for my 'in-case-of-emergency' moments, which never happens up till yesterday.

Armed with my book and trusted file, I started looking for something that will be nice, even though I thought it wouldn't be. My main concern was that it is a known fact that baking with granulated fructose will affect the texture of the baked goods and if you were to know me, you will know I love my consistent output, thus experimenting with something new, making it for someone, past midnight is not my thing. Experimenting is fine, but the thought of unknown results were daunting, especially when u have a deadline (8.30am, with less than 8 hours to go) not that good.

But I did manage, lucky me again. I made a butter cake using the sugar substitute. Texture was alright. A minor lie. The cake had a spongy texture, unlike other cakes I have ever tasted and baked. It was more like a 'kueh brunei', it was slightly spongy. But like I said earlier on, it was alright. Note to self: try baking with granulated fructose again, in case of an emergency! :-)

Then came the part of dressing it. I cannot, an just cannot let my cupcakes go 'naked'. Bu how? Yah I could have had sugar free chocolate shavings on it, but it would not do. So instead, I brushed the top with sugar free black cherry preserves and added a black cherry on top and it was ready; my first diabetic friendly cupcake .

No comments: