Sunday, January 20, 2008

My Chinese New Year Experiment...


Every once in awhile, I personally think it is nice to try something different...Yes, chocolate cupcakes will always be my best seller, but for the upcoming New Year, I thought I would like to do something really different. My so called research evolved around food elements which are the staples of the Chinese New Year; peanuts, oranges and preserved fruit.

Those in Asia would know of this snack ' Kachang Tumbuk'. It is a really retro favorite, of ground peanuts and sugar, compressed into logs and wrapped with paper. It is sweet, peanut-ty , a true indulgence. This particular experiment of mine had mixed reviews. What I wanted to achieved was for the cupcake base to taste like 'kachang tumbuk' and my testers say it did taste just like that!

But those like my mom, who has traditional views on cake textures found the 'kachang tumbuk cupcake' an insult to the word cake. Firstly, it has a coarse, texture, with a powerful peanut taste. Secondly, 'its not cakey'. Well, I did achieve the taste
part!

So, how did I dress the cupcake? Just simply, some fruit preserve and slices of mandarin oranges. Nice. :-)

Personally, I like the taste and texture of the cupcake ( I am definitely not saying this just because...) and it is a nice change to have a 'un-cakey' cupcake for the season.

No comments: